"Chicano writers from El Paso are the most progressive, open-minded, far-reaching, and inclusive writers of them all."

Octavio Romano

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Spotlight: Toni Beatriz Fuentes, Elizabeth Flores, Elenda Rodriguez

Hi folks, here I'm focusing on some Chicana and Latina writers from EPT. I don't have a lot of info on them. Toni Beatriz Fuentes has been reading poetry in El Paso for a long time. For a while she was one of the only Latina poets you could find in El Paso. I saw her last a a reading in honor of Manuel Acosta several years ago. I know she put out a chapbook called El Canto del Girasol (2001) and she's put out some other chapbooks. Another one is Casi un cielo. She was born in El Paso and was part of an old literary group called La Voz Mestiza. Other than that I don't have a lot of info on her. You can find one of her poems on line: "La "Socrates De Mi Barrio: Historia de una Mama Loquita."

Elizabeth Flores owns a postal annex store right there in Montwood Plaza near Yarbrough and Montwood. She's email me a few times. She was writing bilingual children's books long before they became popular. One of her books is La Tortilla Hida (Donars Production). I think it was published in the 1980s.

Elena Rodríguez (novelist)(M.A., University of Texas at El Paso) wrote the novel Peacetime which is one of the few novels that focuses on a Chicana in the military. Chusma House Press published it. I caught her a reading in 1997. She's one of the few Chicana veterans writing.

The link I share with you today is:
BorderSenses
http://www.bordersenses.com/

No comments: