"Chicano writers from El Paso are the most progressive, open-minded, far-reaching, and inclusive writers of them all."

Octavio Romano

Saturday, August 05, 2006

There's a Flood Down in Texas/Steve Crosno dies/Honoring Trini

If you haven't heard about the floods in El Paso, take a look at the websites of El Diario or El Paso Times. I remember back in 1989 or 88 when it flooded real bad. Album Park's pond flowed over the parks boundries. I remember jumping off the trees into the water. It must have been about 8 or 9 feet. They've losed down many streets around the park. I can't image what's going on in the valley. I know Montana Vista has had problems.

They also evacutated people in Canutillo and Vado. Then there the people by Anapra. Just check out the websites and you'll see.

I think some Stevie Ray Vaughn in appropriate.

Texas Flood





by L.C. Davis / J.W. Scott
recording of 1983

from Texas Flood (Epic EK-38734) & Live Alive (Epic EGK-40511)

Well there's floodin' down in Texas, all of the telephone lines are down
Well there's floodin' down in Texas, all of the telephone lines are down
And I've been tryin' to call my baby, Lord and I can't get a single sound

Well dark clouds are rollin' in, man I'm standin' out in the rain
Well dark clouds are rollin' in, man I'm standin' out in the rain
Yeah flood water keep a rollin', man it's about to drive poor me insane

Well I'm leavin' you baby, Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay
Well I'm leavin' you baby, Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay
Well back home I know floods and tornados, baby the sun shines every day

VETERAN DJ PASSES


Veteran DJ Steve Crosno died today. Catch it on the El Paso Times tomorrow. I'd give you the link, but the Times' website has been so messed up lately, I won't even try.

HONORING TRINIDAD SANCHEZ JR.


Here's a poem that Lalo Delgado wrote for Trini....

HASH

At brother Jeff’s

you get three halves

for a dollar’s worth of verse.

At this cultural center

when you enter

you leave the blues outside.

At this café

Poetas de mucha fe

comparten copias

and Xikus,

those would be Hikus

done by Xicanos.

I asked

if it is proper

to serve hash

at a pre birthday bash

and was told

My question had rash,

maybe form a contaminated stash.

Here words inspire thoughts

and thought inspire poems

in a milieu

circa 1920

or ever earlier

in Africa or Yucatan.

We embrace each other

with warm words

and soon we forget all about

the birthday boy

who, of course, is unforgettable.

Trinidad means three, three halves

this evening at brother Jeff’s.

Albelardo “Lalo” Delgado

Denver, Colorado

No comments: